A COVID-19 outbreak at Shepherd’s Care Millwoods Long Term Care Centre in Edmonton continues to grow.
As of Oct. 7, 46 residents had tested positive and 22 staff had the disease.
That’s up from 39 residents and 17 staff on Sunday.
The death toll remained at five.
In an update on its website, the facility said all 46 residents are from the third floor.
Of the 22 staff, 14 are employed by Shepherd’s Care and eight are placement students or support staff through a service provider.
One staff member has recovered, the facility said.
Alberta Health Services said it is working closely with the Shepherd’s Care Foundation, with AHS staff on site and meeting virtually “to provide direction, consultation and support with outbreak and issue management, resident and staff testing, care and service delivery.
“This includes quality monitoring visits, led by the provincial AHS internal audit team, which is standard practice for all sites on outbreak.
“AHS is working with Shepherd’s Care to implement any recommendations that stem from the quality monitoring visits.”
Shepherd’s Care Foundation has suspended all social visits at the Mill Woods facility.
Access to the long-term care building is being restricted to prevent movement between other buildings at the Mill Woods home.
AHS said the Shepherd’s Care Foundation has implemented all outbreak protocols, including:
- Residents have been cohorted by unit where possible and resident movement on the site has been restricted
- Staff are cohorted by floor and by area
- Ongoing education and reinforcement of the appropriate utilization of personal protective equipment (PPE) in all resident care, staff and public areas
- Staff undergo rigorous screening each day prior to entering the facility
- Enhanced cleaning in high-touch areas is in place