The Calgary Fire Department is warning smokers to properly dispose of cigarettes and other smoking materials after a number of fires over the winter were determined to have been caused by the improper disposal of those materials.
On Tuesday, the CFD released the causes of six fires from January 2019:
- Jan. 2 attic fire – electrical in nature
- Jan. 9 garage fire – improper disposal of smoking materials
- Jan. 17 house fire – improper disposal of smoking materials
- Jan. 24 building fire – improper disposal of smoking materials
- Jan. 25 house fire – lit candle was knocked over
- Jan. 31 house fire – electrical failure
“January 2019 saw crews respond to a number of fires that had a range of causes,” Carol Henke, a CFD public information officer, said in a statement. “Overall, the leading cause of residential fires in our city continues to be cooking left unattended, however, January saw a number of fires related to improper disposal of smoking material, a cause which also resulted in two fatality fires in December 2018.”
The CFD reminded Calgarians to properly dispose of cigarettes and smoking materials by doing the following:
- Always use a deep, sturdy and non-combustible receptacle that contains water or sand.
- Before you throw away cigarette butts and ashes, make sure they are out by soaking in water.
- Never discard cigarettes in vegetation such as mulch, potted plants or landscaping. Peat moss, dried grasses, leaves or other things can easily ignite.