January 31, 2019 11:44 pm
Updated: March 19, 2019 6:52 pm

Calgary house fire claims lives of cat and hamster, displaces 4 people

A file photo of a Calgary fire truck is shown.

Global News / Nathan Taylor
A A

Two animals are dead and four people have been displaced after a fire ripped through a home in southwest Calgary late Thursday afternoon.

The Calgary Fire Department (CFD) said firefighters were called to a blaze in the 100 block of Oakhampton Place S.W. just before 4:30 p.m.

“The call came to dispatch from the homeowner, who was met with smoke at their front entrance,” the fire department said in a news release. “Upon entry through the front door, fire crews encountered smoke and high heat. Firefighters then initiated an aggressive interior search to locate the seat of the fire.

READ MORE: Firefighters rescue woman, birds from burning home in southeast Calgary

The fire department said fire attack crews made their way to the basement of the home where they discovered the source of the flames and quickly put out the blaze.

No humans were home at the time of the blaze and no firefighters were injured. However, two animals died as a result of the fire.

“Due to the high heat and smoke, a cat and hamster perished,” the CFD said. “Firefighters performed CPR on the cat, but despite these efforts, were not able to revive the animal.”

WATCH: Some videos from Global News’ coverage of fire-related stories in the Calgary area.

Smoke alarms were activated, the CFD said.

READ MORE: RV and house catch fire in southeast Calgary

According to fire department officials, the damage to the home means two adults and two children will need to find somewhere else to sleep. They did not say how long they would be displaced.

On March 19, the CFD confirmed electrical failure was the cause of the house fire.

© 2019 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Report an error

Comments

Want to discuss? Please read our Commenting Policy first.