The Simcoe Muskoka District Health Unit has confirmed 96 new novel coronavirus cases since Friday, bringing the local total number of cases to 2,115, including 52 deaths.
Forty-one of the new cases are in Barrie, while 13 are in New Tecumseth, 10 are in Bradford, six are in Innisfil, four are in Oro-Medonte and four are in Springwater.
Four of the new cases are in Essa, while three are in Collingwood and three are in Wasaga Beach.
The rest of the new cases are in Bracebridge, Clearview, Huntsville, Muskoka Lakes, Orillia and Tay Township.
Thirty-seven of the new cases are a result of close contact with another positive COVID-19 case, while 14 are community-acquired. One new case is travel-related.
One new case is a result of a community setting COVID-19 outbreak, while two new cases are a result of an institutional outbreak One new case is a result of a workplace outbreak.
The rest of the new cases are all under investigation.
Of the region’s 2,115 COVID-19 cases, 84 per cent — or 1,786 — have recovered, while 12 people remain in hospital.
There are currently 11 coronavirus outbreaks in the region — at four schools, three congregate settings, two community settings, one long-term care home and one workplace.
The school outbreaks are at St. Joan of Arc Catholic High School, Willow Landing Elementary School and Warnica Public School, all of which are in Barrie, as well as Nottawasaga Pines Secondary School in Angus.
There have been a total of 64 COVID-19 outbreaks in the region since the start of the pandemic — at 20 long-term care facilities, 15 workplaces, 10 retirement homes, nine educational settings, seven congregate settings and three community settings.
According to the province of Ontario, 15 schools under the public Simcoe County school board and the Catholic Simcoe Muskoka school board are reporting at least one case of COVID-19.
The affected schools are:
- Warnica Public School in Barrie
- Innisdale Secondary School in Barrie
- Monsignor Clair Catholic School in Barrie
- St. Joseph’s Catholic School in Barrie
- Willow Landing Elementary School in Barrie
- St. Joan of Arc Catholic High School in Barrie
- Bradford District High School
- Fieldcrest Elementary School in Bradford
- Nottawasaga Pines Secondary School in Essa
- Our Lady of Grace School in Essa
- Boyne River Public School in New Tecumseth
- St. Paul’s Catholic School in New Tecumseth
- Holy Family Catholic School in New Tecumseth
- Nantyr Shores Secondary School in Innisfil
- St. James Catholic School in Adjala-Tosorontio
On Monday, Ontario reported 1,746 new coronavirus cases, bringing the provincial total up to 116,492, including 3,656 deaths.