Advertisement

Ontario confirms 17 new COVID-19 cases, including baby boy

Ontario government, City of Toronto update COVID-19 plans
WATCH ABOVE: As the number of cases of COVID-19 spike in Ontario, both provincial and municipal leaders are updating preparedness plans and their advice to Ontarians when he comes to travel. Caryn Lieberman reports.

Ontario has announced 17 new cases of COVID-19, including a baby boy, bringing the total number in the province to 59.

Health officials said the baby is under the age of one and was taken to North York General Hospital in Toronto. The boy is listed as having contracted the coronavirus through close contact and is currently self-isolating.

The oldest patient listed within the new cases is a man in his 70s who attended Mississauga Hospital after a recent travel history to the U.S.

READ MORE: How many Canadians have the new coronavirus? Total number of confirmed cases by region

New patients have various travel histories including having been to Italy, Puerto Rico, U.S., and Spain, one patient was listed as having travelled to Europe in general. Four of the 17 patients have been diagnosed with the virus through close contact transmission.

Many of the new patients attended hospitals in Toronto but others went to hospitals in Peel Region, Halton Region, Hamilton, Waterloo Region, Ottawa, and Barrie.

Story continues below advertisement

None of the cases are currently listed as being hospitalized. The patients are self-isolating at home.

[ Sign up for our Health IQ newsletter for the latest coronavirus updates ]

This is the biggest single-day spike in cases Ontario has seen so far.

The province said it has tested more than 4,100 people for the virus, and the vast majority of the tests have come back negative.

As of March 12, there are 150 confirmed cases of COVID-19 reported in Canada.

— With files from The Canadian Press.