1 person taken into custody after threat against Leduc elementary school
Police said one person was taken into custody after a report of threats being made towards a school in Leduc.
RCMP said police responded to a report of uttering threats at Father Leduc Elementary School on Monday morning.
A student told a staff member about a threatening Snapchat message regarding the safety of the school, police said.
The school was placed on a “hold and secure” and police were contacted.
Leduc RCMP said officers went to the school and a person was identified as being responsible for sending the threat and taken into custody.
At 5:30 p.m., RCMP said the hold and secure had been lifted.
“At this time there is no concern for public safety, however all threats of this nature are taken seriously and fully investigated,” RCMP said.
Edmonton police investigated social media threats against two high schools on Sunday and Monday and did not believe there was any danger to students, staff or the public.
Additionally, the Battle River School Division said the Ecole Camrose Composite High School was put in a hold and secure after similar threats were made to the Camrose school. The hold and secure was lifted at 1:55 p.m. on Monday.
At least five schools in Calgary were also locked down on Monday as police investigated swatting calls.
© 2019 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.