Four schools across Calgary were locked down on Monday after threats were sent to them in what police are calling a series of swatting calls.
Calgary police had previously said five schools had been put in lockdown.
Investigators believe the calls were computer-generated.
Police said the schools received various threats, including one suggesting there were explosives planted in the school. Another stated an armed person was coming to the school with the intention of carrying out a shooting of some kind.
All of the schools involved were put on lockdown.
Police said the investigation is ongoing but there is no threat to the schools.
“At this time, it is unknown if the threats in Calgary are related to similar incidents in other jurisdictions,” police said in a statement Monday afternoon.
The Calgary Board of Education said some schools were evacuated while others executed their lockdown procedures.
“All threats of this nature are taken seriously and fully investigated,” the CBE said in an emailed statement.
“Each situation that arises requires an appropriate level of response to ensure the safety and security of students and staff. All CBE schools have emergency response plans with protocols on how to respond. We also involve the Calgary Police Service and take direction from them on matters of security.”
Coleman Scott, a Grade 8 student at Bishop Pinkham School which was evacuated, said the experience left him rattled.
“An announcement came over the intercom saying, ‘Quickly, this is not a drill, this is not a drill evacuate the school.’ It was honestly pretty scary… because none of us had ever experienced that before.”
He called the scene at the school “chaotic.”
“We tried our hardest to stay together but people were rushing… we had to go out the school really quickly.”
Coleman’s father, Adam Scott, said the evacuation was concerning for him, but trusted that the school knew what to do.
“Of course you’re always concerned, but the school seemed to have everything under control… doing everything they’re supposed to be doing.”
Several schools in and around Edmonton were also the target of online social media threats, prompting lockdown procedures.