The riding of Abbotsford West has changed names many times since its creation in 1994, but one thing has remained consistent: MLA Mike de Jong.
And that’s not going to change this time around. He has now become the longest-serving MLA in the province.
Global News is projecting de Jong will once again win his seat.
De Jong has had a long career in provincial politics, starting with a byelection victory in Matsqui over B.C. political icon Grace McCarthy.
In 2017, he won the seat with 11,618 votes over BC NDP candidate Preet Rai. Rai received 6,474 votes to eclipse the 2,280 votes for BC Green candidate Kevin Eastwood.
Preet Rai ran again for the BC NDP.
- BC Liberals: Mike de Jong
- BC NDP: Preet Rai
- BC Greens: Kevin Eastwood
- BC Conservative: Michael Henshall
- B.C.: Vision: Sukhi Gill
Swing riding meter
Abbotsford West is not considered a swing riding. The BC Liberals won here in 2017 by a margin of 24.46 per cent, though the party won by a bigger margin in 15 other districts.
2017 election results
- BC Liberal: Mike de Jong — 11,618 votes (55.23%)
- BC NDP: Preet Rai — 6,474 votes (30.77%)
- BC Greens: Kevin Eastwood — 2,280 votes (10.84%)
- Christian Heritage: Lynn Simcox — 516 votes (2.45%)
- Libertarian: Dave Sharkey — 149 votes (0.71%)
This profile will continually be updated to reflect latest information, interviews and events in the campaign.
Find full B.C. 2020 provincial election coverage here.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, an unprecedented number of mail-in ballots were requested across B.C. this election. As mail-in ballots cannot be counted until after election night, these results are not final.