They said they first heard reports on social media that described a dog dying after ingesting rabbit poison in Wascana View Park.
Police said they then spoke to the owner of a dog that became sick on July 18, and then died on July 20. They said the dog’s owner told them a vet confirmed the presence of rabbit poison in the dog.
Police said they don’t know exactly what substance was consumed or how it entered the dog’s system. Police also said they haven’t confirmed exactly when or where the dog came into contact with the poison.
“We don’t know if this was an accidental event or a deliberate action by someone,” said Regina Police Service spokesperson Elizabeth Popowich.
“Either way, if anyone has any information that could help us with that we’d sure like to hear from them.”
Anyone with information is asked to contact Regina police at 306-777-6500 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.