Recipe: Hearty southern baked beans
Winter really has hit the south coast with a dose of frigid weather.
That makes it all the better to warm up with a hearty snack with a hint of spicy zest to it.
Doug Stephen, chef and co-owner of Commercial Drive’s Downlow Chicken Shack has just the thing for you, with his quick and easy recipe for baked beans.
- 1 lb. high quality bacon
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp. Mexican chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup ketchup
- 3 cans red kidney beans
- 2 tbsp honey
- Cut bacon (we use JN & Z’s bacon) into thin strips and cook in a large pot on medium heat stirring frequently until crispy (approx 10-15 minutes).
- Add onion and garlic to the pot and sweat them (cook lightly) until translucent.
- Add chili powder and cumin and toast lightly (approx 3 minutes).
- Add apple cider vinegar, ketchup, kidney beans and honey, cook on low for approx 40 minutes.
- Using either a hand blender or regular blender, blitz about 1/4 of the total pot of baked beans.
- Serve in a bowl with a light sprinkling of shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, green onion or whatever your preferred topping is!
© 2019 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.