250 passengers stranded aboard airplane for 16 hours in frigid N.L. town

Click to play video: 'United Airlines passengers stranded for 15 hours'
United Airlines passengers stranded for 15 hours
WATCH ABOVE: Passengers on a United Airlines flight were back on the ground in New Jersey on Sunday after they were stranded on a tarmac at a frigid Canadian military base for more than 15 hours – Jan 21, 2019

HAPPY VALLEY-GOOSE BAY, N.L. — An end is finally in sight for passengers who spent 16 gruelling hours on a plane grounded on a tarmac in frigid Happy Valley-Goose Bay, N.L., though a passenger was left frustrated by the experience and wondering why it took so long to get help.

“You’re cold, you’re tired, you’re hungry,” said Sonjay Dutt, a professional wrestler who was travelling to an event in China.

READ MORE: Airlines could have to pay cash for delays, re-book on competitors under new rules

“I’ve travelled for work pretty much on a weekly basis for the last almost 20 years, and I’ve never experienced something like this.”

United Flight 179 from Newark, N.J., to Hong Kong was diverted to the Goose Bay Airport Saturday night after a passenger experienced a medical emergency, according to United Airlines spokeswoman Natalie Noonan.

Story continues below advertisement

She said that after the passenger was removed from the plane and taken to hospital, a mechanical issue with the plane’s door prevented the aircraft from taking off. Noonan believes the door was unable to be shut because it likely froze in the wintry temperatures.

Noonan said passengers weren’t able to get off the plane because there were no border officials working overnight.

As the hours drew on, Dutt said there was little communication between the airline and the 250 passengers stuck on the plane, which became uncomfortably cold as temperatures outside plunged to nearly -30 C.

He chronicled his experience on social media, tweeting out photos and tagging United in several posts.

Breaking news from Canada and around the world sent to your email, as it happens.

“At one point you have to roll with the punches. You’re at their mercy,” he said in a phone interview. “You’re just hoping that they can communicate with you as honestly as possible, and I feel like that wasn’t done.”

Dutt said food began to run low, but after about 10 hours, officials delivered food from Tim Hortons to the passengers, and some people were taken to the airport’s customs area to stretch their legs.

Story continues below advertisement

WATCH: Safety officials warn airline passengers about e-cigarette batteries in checked baggage

Click to play video: 'Safety officials warn airline passengers about e-cigarette batteries in checked baggage'
Safety officials warn airline passengers about e-cigarette batteries in checked baggage

Mechanics arrived late Sunday morning and attempted to fix the door while the passengers were still on board. When the door repair proved to be a lengthy process, the tired travellers were moved to a rescue plane, which was supposed to leave for Newark late Sunday afternoon.

Dutt said he’s a frequent flier with the airline and will be looking for answers once he gets back.

In response, Noonan said the company did “everything they could” to make sure the passengers were as comfortable as possible.

United officials will greet the passengers upon their arrival in Newark, she said, and will provide them with compensation — including refunds and vouchers — after their ordeal.

Story continues below advertisement

WATCH: Large chunk of ice crashes through Mississauga home

Click to play video: 'Large chunk of ice crashes through Mississauga home'
Large chunk of ice crashes through Mississauga home

“We absolutely understand the frustration. It is a very unique situation,” she said.

“The airport they landed in was just not equipped to handle everyone that was coming in.”

The Goose Bay Airport could not be reached for comment Sunday.

Sponsored content