November 10, 2018 3:39 pm
Updated: November 10, 2018 10:46 pm

RCMP provide update on Sherwood Park explosions, motive remains unknown

WATCH ABOVE: The RCMP released new details Saturday about what happened when two explosions went off at a Strathcona County parkade. Meanwhile, the mayor said a security review is underway. Julia Wong reports.


Four days after a pair of explosions shook a community centre in the heart of Sherwood Park, Alta., RCMP said they can now confirm the initial blast was deliberately planned.

“We can now confirm that Kane Kosolowsky purposely caused an explosion underneath a half-tonne truck on the lower level parkade using a substance that is yet to be determined,” Supt. Dave Kalist of the Strathcona County RCMP said at a news conference late Saturday morning.

Story continues below

Kosolowsky, 21, was found seriously injured after the initial explosion Tuesday night and was taken to hospital where he later died from a gunshot wound. On Saturday, Kalist confirmed Kosolowsky shot himself. He is believed to have shot himself after he went back to his vehicle following the first detonation.

A motive for the first detonation remains unknown, Kalist told reporters.

“It may be that we will never fully know what his motives were for this incident,” he said.

In a news release, police said “the Kosolowsky family has cooperated fully with the RCMP investigation and our thoughts are with them as they also search for answers.”

READ MORE: Man, 21, dead after blast led police to car packed with explosives in Sherwood Park

Watch below: Global News has learned a deadly explosion triggered a major police response in Sherwood Park, Alberta on Tuesday night. On Nov. 7, 2018, Mercedes Stephenson filed this report.

Police said Saturday that the first explosion caused damage to several vehicles in the parkade. The gas tank of one of those vehicles caught fire, triggering the second blast.

“Several items have been seized and a forensic examination to determine what type of explosive was used will be carried out,” police said. “RCMP will not speculate on what was used. This examination is expected to take several weeks.

“An examination of the suspect vehicle led to the seizure of multiple firearms. No additional explosives were found in his vehicle or any other vehicles.”

The RCMP later told Global News they have reviewed surveillance video of the incident, specifically the parkade, but won’t be releasing it because it is considered evidence.

The Strathcona County Community Centre remained closed Friday, Nov. 9, 2018, three days after explosions rocked the complex.

Global News

After three days of officers searching the surrounding buildings and areas near where the explosions occurred, police said “no additional threats were located.”

“At this time, no specific motives have been identified and RCMP continue to investigate reasons as to why this event occurred. This act appears to have been carried out by one suspect and police are not currently seeking any additional suspects.”

Police said Saturday that the RCMP Major Crime Unit has now returned control of the parkade to Strathcona County although officers remain on scene to help with security.

Watch below: Supt. Dave Kalist of the Strathcona County RCMP speaks about the police investigation of Tuesday’s explosions in Sherwood Park.

On Friday, officials said there is still no firm date in place as to when the Strathcona County Community Centre will reopen to the public

Rod Frank, the mayor of Strathcona County, spoke to reporters on Saturday afternoon. He said there was still no firm date for the reopening of both the county hall and the community centre, although a review of the complex’s structural integrity suggested everything was intact.

“The earliest we expect results from environmental testing is Tuesday next week,” he said, adding that further review of the complex’s structural integrity is still needed. “The results from these assessments will inform our next steps.”

Frank said the county is currently conducting a security review.

“Security reviews are done regularly at our county,” he said. “One is currently underway and will obviously take this incident into consideration. We are working swiftly and thoroughly with law enforcement on the current review and this is a top priority.

“There will be no expense spared on this.”

When asked how county staff feel about returning to work at the complex, Frank acknowledged there may be some apprehension, which is to be expected.

“They have normal concerns anybody would have… we’re not going to rush anything.”

Frank said councillors with the county got to walk through the site of the explosions on Friday to get a firsthand look and that they saw “residue on most surfaces.”

Despite the concerning incident, Frank said he believed Sherwood Park continues to be safe.

“Our community is safe. My son will be playing hockey tonight at a public building a few hundred yards from here. I’ll be there enjoying the game.”

Frank added that like the RCMP, “we all want to get to the motive” for why the explosion was planned.

Sherwood Park is a large community located just east of Edmonton.

–With files from Global News’ Julia Wong

READ MORE: Opening date for Strathcona County Community Centre still in flux after explosions Tuesday

Watch below: It could be close to another week before the Strathcona County Community Complex reopens to the public after Tuesday’s blasts. Friday, county staff had an update. Fletcher Kent reports.

© 2018 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Report an error


Comments closed.

Due to the sensitive and/or legal subject matter of some of the content on, we reserve the ability to disable comments from time to time.

Please see our Commenting Policy for more.