Advertisement

Quebec premier takes lead on coronavirus crisis as former foes rally behind him

Click to play video 'Coronavirus outbreak: Quebec premier urges people to follow health-care recommendations after first COVID-19 death' Coronavirus outbreak: Quebec premier urges people to follow health-care recommendations after first COVID-19 death
After the province announced its first COVID-19-related death, Quebec Premier François Legault stressed on Wednesday the need to "respect the rules" and recommendations set forth by health officials to slow the spread of the virus – Mar 18, 2020

A few weeks ago, McGill University law professor Daniel Weinstock was considering suing the Quebec government for defamation, but today he’s lauding Premier François Legault for his response to COVID-19.

Legault tended to be blustery and boastful during his first year in power, Weinstock said Wednesday, but since the public health crisis hit Quebec in earnest last week, the premier has set the right tone.

“As someone, who as you know, not even a month ago, had a bit of a run-in with this government, you have to give credit where credit is due,” he said in an interview. “Even with respect to a government that, in general, I’ve had a lot of trouble with.”

Legault was among the first leaders in Canada to take immediate steps to stop the spread of COVID-19. Last week, he prohibited all government workers from travelling abroad and banned all public gatherings of more than 250 people.

Story continues below advertisement

READ MORE: Montreal seniors defying Quebec’s order to stay home during COVID-19 pandemic

On Saturday, he urged everyone 70 years and older to stay indoors and cancelled visits to seniors centres and hospitals. The next day, he ordered all bars, gyms, theatres and cinemas to close. Other provinces have since followed suit.

Amy Swiffen, professor of sociology and anthropology at Concordia University, said Quebec “seems to be in the lead when it comes to responding” to the novel coronavirus.

Swiffen, who has been researching Canada’s response to pandemics since the 2003 SARS outbreak, said in an interview, “it seems the measures were taken here a few days before other provinces.”

On Monday, Legault took another novel approach, appealing to influencers in the entertainment and sports world to use their popularity among young people and warn them against congregating in groups. “This is not the time to party,” Legault said.

READ MORE: Quebec reports first death in the province due to coronavirus

[ Sign up for our Health IQ newsletter for the latest coronavirus updates ]

Not long ago, the premier was facing attacks from minority community and civil rights activists for his government’s approach to reducing immigration and banning some public servants from wearing religious symbols on the job.

In February, his Coalition Avenir Québec government faced an uproar from the academic community when the education minister revoked Weinstock’s invitation to speak at a public forum.

Story continues below advertisement

The move followed a newspaper column that falsely stated Weinstock had advocated the symbolic circumcision of young girls, and Education Minister Jean-Francois Roberge eventually apologized.

Today, Weinstock, who has been highly critical of the government’s other policies, particularly around the secularism law, says the premier “has found the right balance of caution, concern, of assurance” during daily briefings to the media alongside the province’s director of public health, Horacio Arruda.

Click to play video 'Coronavirus outbreak: Quebec premier urges youth to practice social distancing' Coronavirus outbreak: Quebec premier urges youth to practice social distancing
Coronavirus outbreak: Quebec premier urges youth to practice social distancing – Mar 17, 2020

“And it’s important now, especially in an age where people have so many different sources of information coming at them — some reliable, some completely unreliable — to have a daily briefing that sets the tone for the next 24 hours … and he’s doing it very well.”

Legault’s political opponents have also noticed.

Gaetan Barrette, the former Liberal health minister known for his partisan sniping, tweeted Wednesday: “I am convinced that if there is one place where we will succeed in flattening the curve, it will be Quebec thanks to early government actions and the excellent response from all of society.

Story continues below advertisement

“The mistake would be to stop.”

Flattening the curve refers to the principle of lengthening the period over which people become infected in order to ease pressure on the health care network.

In an interview, Barrette, a physician himself, said the COVID crisis is “apolitical.” He said his background in science makes him particularly attuned to the need to enforce the concept of “social distancing” and to ensure that Quebecers are united.

The stakes are too high for political gamesmanship, he said.

“We need to have social cohesion,” Barrette said. “It’s at this time — and only at this time — when we can have an effect.”

READ MORE: Coronavirus in Quebec: who to call, where to go and where not to go

Quebec’s entire political class has rallied around the premier, which telegraphs to the public the seriousness of the problem, Swiffen said.

“When political parties come together this way … it of course has an effect on the public,” she said.

Legault will need the goodwill he has built over the past week if the contagion worsens and he has to further limit Quebecers’ civil liberties, Weinstock said. The public’s patience with emergency measures could have its limits.

Story continues below advertisement

“When this drags out, this will test the capital that Mr. Legault is building up right now, he said.

“History will record whether he’s been up to the task — not in terms of what he’s been able to do in a week, but the degree to which he’s been able to keep the population more or less in line to where his experts think we ought to go over six months.”

Click to play video 'Coronavirus outbreak: Quebec premier urges bars, movie theatres to close, restaurants to reduce capacity' Coronavirus outbreak: Quebec premier urges bars, movie theatres to close, restaurants to reduce capacity
Coronavirus outbreak: Quebec premier urges bars, movie theatres to close, restaurants to reduce capacity – Mar 15, 2020