Teen playing with lighter the cause of Malahide house fire: OPP
Elgin OPP have laid a charge of mischief against a 13-year-old teen following a fire at a Malahide, Ont., home over the weekend.
Emergency crews were called to the scene on Springwater Road, north of Talbot Line, around 1:30 p.m. on Saturday.
Police said the blaze was isolated to an upstairs bedroom, adding everyone in the home evacuated safely and no one was injured.
“Through investigation, it was revealed that a 13-year-old youth was playing with a lighter,” police said. They are set to appear in court at a later date.
Malahide Fire Chief Brent Smith said in a statement that, thanks to working carbon monoxide and smoke alarms, all occupants were able to evacuate safely.
He said residents should make sure their alarms are in working order, and that home escape plans are in place.
© 2019 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.