One dead after bus crash near Prescott

Click to play video: 'Man dies in hospital after bus crash near Prescott' Man dies in hospital after bus crash near Prescott
OPP say a 54-year-old man has died from his injuries after a bus crash along Hwy. 401. He was one of 37 people injured when their tour bus veered off the road and crashed into a rock cut – Jun 5, 2018

Police say a passenger involved in the bus crash on Monday died from his injuries. The victim was a 54-year-old man from China, who died overnight at the Kingston General Hospital.

According to the OPP, four others remain in hospital with serious life-threatening injuries.

According to hospitals in Brockville, Ottawa and Kingston, there are currently 10 people still in hospital.

OPP say 37 passengers on a bus were involved in a collision when the bus ran into a ditch in the westbound lanes of Highway 401 near Prescott, Ont. on Monday.

Officers said 20 people were treated for non-life-threatening injuries.

READ MORE: Passenger left with life-threatening injuries following Talbot Line crash

Story continues below advertisement

Police said the passengers on the bus are tourists from China.

As for the cause of the accident, police said that the bus left the highway and hit a rock-cut, falling into the ditch but remaining upright. There is extensive damage to the right side of the bus. What caused the bus to veer off-course is under investigation.

The collision occurred just at 2:30 p.m. on Monday. The westbound lanes of Highway 401 near Prescott were closed between Edward Street and Maitland Road due to the collision until around 11 p.m. on Monday.

The patients were sent to hospitals in Brockville, Ottawa and Kingston.

Paramedics of Leeds and Grenville tweeted out that there were multiple patients sent to Brockville General Hospital without vital signs and several with serious injuries.

Story continues below advertisement

According to the Brockville General Hospital Twitter account, they received five patients. The hospital said it brought in a Mandarin translator to speak with patients. As of Tuesday, the Brockville hospital has just one of those five patients in their care.

Kingston General Hospital said it received four patients, one is now dead and the other three are still in critical condition.

The Civic Hospital in Ottawa now has five patients, but have not released their conditions.

The rest of the victims with medium to low acuity injuries arrived by school bus to the Queensway Carleton Hospital in Ottawa. 18 of those patients have been released, and two were sent to the Ottawa Civic Hospital.

OPP said the bus is from Union Tour Express, a company registered in Peabody, Mass

READ MORE: Toronto man identified as victim of fatal crash on Hwy. 401 near Prescott

Two Ornge Air helicopters were dispatched to the collision, east of Bluechurch Road. A helicopter from Ottawa arrived on the scene, and returned to an Ottawa hospital with two victims. Ornge said it also sent a second helicopter from Toronto, an airplane dispatched from Brockville to move patients and a land ambulance from Ottawa.

Story continues below advertisement

Officials and politicians alike reacted on Monday to the devastating collision online.

Federal Transport Minister Marc Garneau issued a statement saying they are monitoring the situation.

“Our thoughts are with all those affected by this accident. Our Government remains committed to the safety of Canadians on our roads and across the country. We are actively monitoring the situation as it continues to evolve,” he said.

— With files from Nick Westoll

Sponsored content