Celine Dion cancels 3 weeks of Las Vegas residency shows
Celine Dion’s latest health problems have forced the cancellation of residency shows at the Colosseum at Caesar’s Palace.
“We regret to inform you that the performances of Celine scheduled for March 27 through April 18 have been cancelled,” the Canadian singer’s Facebook page posted on Wednesday. “Celine has been dealing with a condition in her middle ear known as Patulous Eustachian tube, which causes hearing irregularities, and makes it extremely difficult to sing.”
“She has been experiencing this condition for the past 12-18 months but it has been successfully treated with various ear drop medications,” they noted. “During the past couple of weeks these medications have no longer been working to treat the condition, so she will undergo a minimally invasive surgical procedure to correct the problem.”
Dion, who had already nixed multiple 2018 shows due to illness, apologized for the latest cancellations. “My luck hasn’t been very good lately… I’ve been so looking forward to doing my shows again and this happens,” she wrote. “I just can’t believe it! I apologize to everyone who planned to travel to Las Vegas to see my show. I know how disappointing this is, and I’m so sorry.”
Back in January, Dion cancelled multiple shows on doctor’s orders and upset fans in the process. Unlike the recent cancellations, many of the shows in January were cancelled last minute and left people bitter.
“My doctor advised that I absolutely cannot perform tonight,” said Dion in an address to her fans.
“I don’t know what to say, other than I’m truly sorry for having to cancel tonight’s show and the two shows from last week,” she said. “Cancelling a show is the hardest thing I have to do, especially when I know that so many people have travelled far to see me in Las Vegas. This decision is not made lightly.”
Continuing, “When I’m not well, I always try to push through and I do everything I can to do my show. I really struggled to finish last night’s show and it took everything out of me.”
“I know that I’m disappointing you, the people who support me the most and it hurts me beyond words,” concluded the My Heart Will Go On singer. “I hope that you can forgive me.”
The show followed two other cancellations on Jan. 6 and Jan. 9.
At first, it seemed as though fans were understanding of the situation, wishing Dion a speedy recovery on Twitter.
But the disappointment did not end there. Shows scheduled for the subsequent Tuesday and Wednesday were cancelled because she “has been suffering for the past week from congestion and irritation of the vocal chords due to a lingering cold,” according to a Facebook post.
Concertgoers were offered a refund on their tickets, but what about the many out-of-town fans with hotel and flight expenses?
“Cancelling shows day by day is an insult to people who travelled to see it. I love Celine, by the way,” tweeted one user. “Celine is human, and her doctors are not god, but in the last 10 days, they cancelled like five shows always too close to showtime to let anyone modify their travel plans. You find that acceptable by her management team?”
Another fan on Facebook was disappointed by the “lack of communication and responsibility,” calling it, “disheartening.”
“Why don’t you let your revenue driver rest for a week or two (which is 100 per cent deserved)?” the fan posted. “Not only that but let those travelling across the country, wait — the world — save their time?”
© 2018 Entertainment Tonight Canada, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.