Recipe: Easter lamb and scalloped potatoes
Chef Dan Olson of Railtown Catering Chef & Owner shows how to make the perfect Easter lamb + scalloped potatoes.
1 3lb Boneless Lamb Leg
2 Cloves Garlic, finely chopped
1 Lemon, zest only (no white pith)
1 Whole Lemon
2 sprigs Fresh Rosemary, finely chopped
Salt and Freshly Cracked Black Pepper
1 tsp Dijon Mustard
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 Tbsp Canola Oil (for searing)
1 cup Panko Bread Crumbs (or homemade bread crumbs toasted with olive oil)
1. Mix olive oil, chopped garlic, half the rosemary, half the lemon zest, half the Dijon mustard and cracked pepper together in a bowl to create the marinade.
3. Re-truss the lamb leg into an even cylinder shape for roasting. Refrigerate overnight (approx. 12 hours).
4. Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
5. Remove lamb leg from the fridge. Season with salt and pepper, and sear in a thick bottom pan with canola oil until golden brown all around.
6. Place in the oven and cook until internal temperature reaches 120°F. Remove from oven, and remove all twine.
7. Brush the top of the lamb leg with the remaining Dijon mustard. Coat generously with the breadcrumb mixture, and remaining lemon zest and rosemary.
8. Place the lamb leg back in the oven, and cook until the internal temperature reaches 130°F and the crust is golden brown — the temperature will climb up 10°F on its own from the residual heat. (According to Chef Dan, the best way eat lamb leg is medium).
9. Let rest for 20 minutes before carving. Enjoy a perfectly cooked and tasty lamb leg
More Global BC recipes are available here
© 2017 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.