IN THE NEWS…
- The eastbound express lanes of Highway 401 at Morningside will remain closed until noon today following a multi-vehicle collision overnight. A tractor trailer burst into flames around 2 a.m. Friday morning after hitting an Ministry of Transportation truck and two other vehicles that were involved in cleaning up a previous accident on the highway’s shoulder.
- Mayor Rob Ford will help open the 136th annual Canadian National Exhibition, which begins today in Toronto and runs through to Labour Day. This year’s opening ceremonies will commemorate the 100th Anniversary of the First World War with a procession planned that will include war re-enactors.
- There is outrage at York University over anti-immigrant flyers that were posted around campus this week. The flyers say that “if mass third world immigration continues, White Canadians will be reduced to a persecuted minority.” A web address appears for a group called Immigration Watch Canada on the flyers but the head of that group says they had nothing to do with it.
- The TTC is closing a portion of the Yonge-University-Spadina line Saturday. All trains on the University-Spadina line will turn back north at St Andrew Station. All trains on the Yonge line will turn back north at Union Station.
- Your next commuter car could have two seats, three wheels and get 84 miles to the gallon. Elio Motors wants to revolutionize U.S. roads with its tiny car, which is the same length as a Honda Fit but half the weight. With a starting price of $6,800, it’s also less than half the cost.
Cloudy with 30 percent chance of showers early this morning. Clearing this afternoon. Wind west 20 km/h becoming light this afternoon. High 22. UV index 6 or high.
To get real-time weather for your area, download the Global News Skytracker weather app.
TRAFFIC AND TRANSIT
Roads: Click for the latest Toronto traffic.