Advertisement

Fire damages popular Marda Loop diner

CALGARY – About 130 people were forced out of Marda Loop on Thursday night, after a building that houses a popular eatery caught fire.

Crews rushed to the Belmont Diner, located in the 2000 block of 33 Ave. S.W., around 7 p.m.

Flames could be seen shooting out of the front of the building, and thick smoke flooded into adjacent businesses.

Firefighters were able to confine the fire to the restaurant where it started, before eventually extinguishing it.

No injuries were reported and damage to adjacent businesses was minimal.

The fire forced the closure of 33 Ave. S.W. for several hours while crews cleared the scene.

So far, there is no word what sparked the blaze, or a damage estimate.

Story continues below advertisement
Fire fighters stand outside the Belmont Diner in Marda Loop. Courtesy Craig Hooper/Global News.
Emergency crews on scene in Marda Loop. Courtesy Chris Bassett.
Fire at the Belmont Diner - Courtesy Mick Carroll.
A fire at the Belmont Diner. Courtesy of Mick Carroll.
A fire at the Belmont Diner. Courtesy of Marc Doll.
Story continues below advertisement
A fire at the Belmont Diner. Courtesy of Marc Doll.

Sponsored content