Canada, Sweden, Ukraine and Britain on Thursday said they could consider new steps in line with international law against Iran if it failed to respond by Jan. 5 to demands for reparations after the downing of a passenger airliner last year.
Most of the 176 people killed when Iran shot down a Ukrainian jet in January 2020 were citizens from those four countries, which created a coordination group that seeks to hold Tehran to account.
“The Coordination Group’s patience is wearing thin,” it said in a statement, adding that the group had pressed Tehran to open talks on reparations and to deliver justice but said Iran had shown it was reluctant to respond in a timely manner.
Get breaking National news
It said Iran should respond by Jan 5 or the group would “have to seriously consider other actions to resolve this matter within the framework of international law” but gave no details.
- Alex Newhook fans turn N.L. bars into ‘mini Bell Centres’ during Habs playoff games
- Montreal merchants brace for ‘perfect storm’ as playoffs and Grand Prix collide
- Saskatchewan Realtors Association backs ISC acquisition if status quo maintained
- More Americans inquiring about Canadian citizenship due to Bill C-3: Immigration lawyers
Tehran says Revolutionary Guards accidentally shot down the Boeing 737 jet and blamed a misaligned radar and an error by the air defense operator at a time when tensions were high between Tehran and the United States.
Last month, families of victims alleged in a report that high-ranking Iranian officials were responsible. In June, Canada said it had found no evidence that the downing of the plane had been premeditated.
— Reporting by David Ljunggren
Comments
Want to discuss? Please read our Commenting Policy first.