Calgary police investigate early Sunday morning hit-and-run

Click to play video: 'Investigations underway for 2 pedestrian-involved collisions in Calgary' Investigations underway for 2 pedestrian-involved collisions in Calgary
WATCH ABOVE: Two pedestrians have been killed in a crash, and two others seriously injured in a separate incident. As Christa Dao reports, Alberta’s police watchdog is investigating one of the collisions. – Dec 13, 2020

Calgary police investigators were on scene in the southwest following a hit-and-run early Sunday morning.

According to police, the collision happened around 1:30 a.m. in the intersection of 13 Avenue and 37 Street S.W. behind Westbrook Mall.

Read more: 2 people killed, 1 person taken to hospital after Calgary collision, ASIRT investigating

Police said a dark-coloured sedan hit two pedestrians in the intersection and fled the scene heading north on 37 Street. Police said the vehicle would have front-end damage, including possible damage to the windshield.

EMS told Global News the two victims were a man and woman in their 30s, and both were rushed to Foothills hospital.

At the time of transport, the man was in critical, life-threatening condition while the woman was transported in serious and potentially life-threatening condition, according to paramedics.

Story continues below advertisement

On Sunday morning, police said the two pedestrians were in non-life threatening condition.

The two victims’ families released a statement to Global News, calling the incident “pure hell and torment.”

“Unfortunately, the male victims’ parents witnessed this horrific accident. Both victims are in a bad way and the hospital will not allow either parents to be with them. It is pure hell and torment for us all.”

On Monday, police said the woman hit was 38 and was being treated for serious injuries. The man who was struck was 37, and remained in critical condition on Monday, police said.

The families are asking anyone with information about the collision to contact police or Crime Stoppers.

Officers had the intersection cordoned off on Sunday morning to investigate the scene.

Sponsored content