Advertisement

Halifax Transit union calls for better mask enforcement as more drivers refuse work

Click to play video: 'Halifax Transit drivers refusing work after passengers forego masks' Halifax Transit drivers refusing work after passengers forego masks
WATCH: At least three Halifax Transit workers have refused work over the past week, claiming more and more passengers are refusing to wear face coverings. As Graeme Benjamin reports, the union representing transit workers is calling for better enforcement of Public Health policies – Dec 1, 2020

The union representing transit workers in Halifax says the mandatory mask rule for all public transit is fundamentally flawed, as there are no repercussions for those who refuse to comply.

Ken Wilson, the president of the Amalgamated Transit Union Local 508, says over the past week, three drivers have refused to work because they don’t feel safe, given the number of people entering buses without face coverings.

“They’re concerned,” said Wilson.

“The anxiety, the fear, the distraction is a concern.”

READ MORE: Masks now mandatory on Halifax Transit

Masks became mandatory on all transit ferries and buses back in July. However, there are no fines or other penalties for those who don’t comply.

Wilson says the time for education is over and there should be strict enforcement for those who don’t have a medical reason to not wear a mask.

Story continues below advertisement

“In our environment the operators have the right to enforce certain rules. For example, no shirt, no ride. No pants, no ride,” said Wilson.

“But no mask, take a seat, which doesn’t make sense to us.”

Click to play video: 'Coronavirus: Nova Scotia’s top doctor says province ‘starting to see community spread’' Coronavirus: Nova Scotia’s top doctor says province ‘starting to see community spread’
Coronavirus: Nova Scotia’s top doctor says province ‘starting to see community spread’ – Nov 17, 2020

Wilson says while the majority of passengers follow the rules, which he estimates to be about 90 per cent, the other 10 per cent are putting the rest of them at risk.

[ Sign up for our Health IQ newsletter for the latest coronavirus updates ]

“I think we’re all trying to navigate the new normal, but I can’t stress enough that we educate in the first wave of a pandemic and we enforce in the second wave to avoid a third wave,” he said.

Stacie Smith, a frequent transit user, says she’s noticing more and more people either not wearing a mask while on the bus, or wearing them improperly.

Story continues below advertisement

“I just hear about all the horror stories of people not wearing masks on buses, which to me doesn’t make sense,” said Smith.

“It’s safety. It’s just common sense right now.”

Halifax Transit declined an interview, but in a statement the Halifax Regional Municipality reiterated that the protocol is only for drivers to remind passengers to wear a mask but not deny them entry if they refuse to do so.

“There are no planned changes to the current protocol, however, with everything related to COVID-19, we continue to monitor and respond as the situation changes,” said Erin DiCarlo, a spokesperson for Halifax Transit, said in the statement.

READ MORE: N.S. makes masks mandatory on public transit, eases visitor restrictions in long-term care homes

Dr. Robert Strang, Nova Scotia’s chief medical officer of health, addressed the issue of mandatory masking during Tuesday’s COVID-19 press briefing.

“You may not like to wear a mask. That’s OK. But you still need to do it,” said Strang. “So stop looking for loopholes, stop making excuses, stop arguing with people who drive our buses … when they ask you to put on a mask.

“Masks are an important part of our COVID response plan, and they work.”

Story continues below advertisement
Click to play video: 'Mask use now mandatory in Nova Scotia public places' Mask use now mandatory in Nova Scotia public places
Mask use now mandatory in Nova Scotia public places – Jul 31, 2020

Sponsored content