Advertisement

Philippines orders broadcaster that refused to air president’s campaign ads off the air

Coronavirus: News reporting during the COVID-19 pandemic
The pandemic has thrown hundreds of thousands of Canadians out of work and has caused those working to change how they do business. That includes journalists working in television news at Global. Sean O'Shea reports.

The Philippines’ telecoms body ordered the country’s leading broadcaster ABS-CBN Corp. to cease operations on Tuesday, as a parliament dominated by President Rodrigo Duterte’s loyalists dragged its feet over renewing its license.

Duterte has repeatedly threatened to block the renewal of ABS-CBN’s franchise, after the channel angered him during the 2016 presidential election by refusing to air his campaign commercials.

Opposition lawmakers described the order for the channel to suspend operations as “ill-timed” given the need to inform the public in the battle against the coronavirus outbreak in the country.

READ MORE: Governments around the world using coronavirus pandemic to curb press freedom

In a statement, ABS-CBN said it will stop operations Tuesday evening to comply with the order from the National Telecommunications Commission, while also imploring lawmakers in Congress, the lower house of parliament, to renew its franchise, which expired on May 4.

Story continues below advertisement

“We trust that the government will decide on our franchise with the best interest of the Filipino people in mind, recognizing ABS-CBN’s role and efforts in providing the latest news and information during these challenging times,” the channel said in a statement.

Philippine journalist at odds with Duterte arrested on libel charges
Philippine journalist at odds with Duterte arrested on libel charges

Presidential spokesman Harry Roque said the government was grateful for the broadcaster’s service, but ABS-CBN’s fate lay with the Congress.

[ Sign up for our Health IQ newsletter for the latest coronavirus updates ]

The channel also said it had been given assurances that it could carry on broadcasting while the bills to extend its franchise still lay with the Congress.

Yet, NTC Deputy Commissioner Edgardo Cabarios said that the order for the channel stop operations took immediate effect, but added that ABS-CBN could appeal through the courts.

The regulator also gave ABS-CBN 10 days to respond and explain why frequencies assigned to it should not be recalled.

Story continues below advertisement

ABS-CBN, a 66-year-old entertainment and media conglomerate, employs nearly 7,000 people, operates radio and television stations nationwide and distributes online content.

Antonio Albano, vice-chairman of the lower chamber’s committee on legislative franchises, said Congress will order the telecoms body to explain its action.

“We are up in arms against this,” Albano told DZMM, adding that only Congress can grant or revoke franchise.

An opposition senator said the closure of the channel undermined the fight against the coronavirus outbreak, which has infected more than 9,600 people in the Philippines, and killed more than 600.

“This shutdown order goes against public welfare,” Senator Risa Hontiveros said in a statement.

Philippines reports first novel coronavirus death outside China
Philippines reports first novel coronavirus death outside China