Man dies after being Tasered by Peel police in Mississauga

Click to play video: 'SIU probes death of man following police Taser incident in Mississauga'
SIU probes death of man following police Taser incident in Mississauga
ABOVE: Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit is probing the death of a man after an encounter with Peel Regional Police involved a Taser. Caryn Lieberman has more – Nov 20, 2019

Peel Regional Police say a 30-year-old man who was Tasered by officers died in hospital Wednesday morning.

Officers were called to Runningbrook Drive, near Tomken Road and Bloor Street, in Mississauga at around 3:17 a.m. for reports of a disturbance.

When they arrived, police said a man was found in the backyard of a residence in the area.

Click to play video: 'SIU investigates man’s death after being tasered by Peel Regional Police'
SIU investigates man’s death after being tasered by Peel Regional Police

“Officers located the male and had an interaction at which point a conducted energy weapon was deployed,” Peel Regional Police Const. Akhil Mooken said.

Story continues below advertisement

Peel paramedics said the man was in critical condition when he was transported.

The man was pronounced dead about an hour later in hospital at 4:19 a.m., police said.

READ MORE: Ontario’s police watchdog investigating Brampton crash involving Peel police cruisers

Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) has invoked its mandate and will be investigating the incident.

The SIU is an independent enforcement agency that investigates incidents involving police that have resulted in death, serious injury or alleged sexual assault.

“As officers were attempting to communicate with the man a struggle ensued,” SIU spokesperson Monica Hudon told reporters on Wednesday at noon. “As part of the struggle, several use of force options were used including the deployment of a conducted energy weapon.”

Hudon said what use of force options officers used is part of the SIU’s investigation. Hudon added that it is unknown how many officers responded to the incident.

Story continues below advertisement
A photo of the backyard area taped off by police. Kamil Karamali / Global News
Police on scene at Runningbrook Drive in Mississauga. Kamil Karamali / Global News


Sponsored content