Ontario’s police watchdog investigating Brampton crash involving Peel police cruisers

Click to play video 'Ontario’s SIU investigates crash involving Peel Regional Police cruisers' Ontario’s SIU investigates crash involving Peel Regional Police cruisers
WATCH ABOVE: The province’s police watchdog has been called in to investigate after a three-vehicle collision occurred Monday morning in Brampton that involved two Peel Regional Police cruisers. Kamil Karamali has more – Nov 18, 2019

The province’s police watchdog has been called to investigate following a crash involving an allegedly stolen vehicle, two Peel Regional Police cruisers and one civilian vehicle.

Police said the crash happened at Main and Queen streets at around 6:37 p.m. Sunday.

At around 1:37 a.m. on Monday, Peel police said the Special Investigations Unit (SIU) had invoked its mandate.

Story continues below advertisement

READ MORE: Pedestrian in serious condition after being struck by vehicle in Mississauga

The SIU said Peel police began following a vehicle, believed to have been stolen, along Hurontario Street.

In attempting to stop the vehicle at a downtown Brampton intersection, the SIU said the vehicle collided with two police cruisers and another car driving in the area.

The driver and the passenger in the suspected stolen car were investigated and then arrested, the SIU said. Peel police said there are no outstanding parties.

A photo of the crash scene in downtown Brampton. Robbie Ford / Global News

The SIU said a 46-year-old man, who was the passenger, was taken to hospital with a serious injury. Officials have not confirmed what type of injuries the man sustained.

Story continues below advertisement

“Understanding what transpired during the arrest is part of the SIU’s investigation,” Monica Hudon, a spokesperson with the SIU, said.

The SIU is an independent enforcement agency that investigates incidents involving police that have resulted in death, serious injury or alleged sexual assault.

Police said all roads including Main Street between Nelson and Wellington streets, and Queen Street between George and Chapel streets have now re-opened.