Advertisement

Unattended cooking cause of Saskatoon apartment fire

Smoke was coming from the third floor of an apartment building on Avenue V North when crews arrived, the Saskatoon Fire Department said. Saskatoon Fire Department / Supplied

The Saskatoon Fire Department said unattended cooking was the cause of a blaze that forced the evacuation of an apartment suite.

Crews went to the apartment building on Avenue V North at around 3 a.m. on Monday after receiving two 911 calls reporting a possible fire.

READ MORE: Fire destroys garage, damages 2 others in Saskatoon

Firefighters said they arrived to see smoke coming from the third floor and said they were told those inside the suite had evacuated.

The mother from the suite said she was wakened by alarms going off and went to wake her son when she realized the apartment was full of black smoke.

READ MORE: Teen believed dead in Saskatchewan reserve house fire RCMP says

Story continues below advertisement

The fire was quickly put out, fire department officials said, and crews searched the building for any possible victims.

No injuries were reported.

The fire department said damage, estimated at $80,000, was limited to the suite and third-floor hallway.

Sponsored content