July 10, 2019 2:43 pm
Updated: July 10, 2019 5:42 pm

Appliance on stove sparks Tuesday night kitchen fire in Kelowna

The Kelowna Fire Department doused a kitchen fire at Foundry Kelowna on Tuesday night. It also issued a reminder not to leave anything on your stovetop.

Global News
A A

After extinguishing a kitchen fire on Tuesday night, the Kelowna Fire Department issued a public reminder not to leave anything on top of your stove.

The fire happened around 8 p.m., in a commercial kitchen along the 1800 block of Kirschner Road.

The building is home to Foundry Kelowna, a wellness centre for youth.

READ MORE: Fire department extinguishes kitchen fire, but Kelowna resident displaced


Story continues below

The fire department said when crews arrived, there were smoke and flames in the kitchen. The fire had extended into the kitchen cabinets, but not into the building.

The fire was quickly extinguished, with five fire engines and 22 firefighters responding. No injuries were reported.

The fire department said the fire appears to have been caused by the stove being left on, with an appliance left on top of it.

READ MORE: Pot on stove kindles kitchen fire: Kelowna Fire Department

“We would like to remind the public to check your smoke detectors and keep your stovetop clear of all items,” said KFD platoon captain Kelly Stephens.

According to The Canadian Mental Health Association (CMHA), operators of Foundry Kelowna, the cause of the fire was determined to be a stove element, accidentally left on, that ignited a toaster.

“Cleaners discovered the fire at about 8 p.m., and immediately called the fire department who were able to quickly put the fire out,” said CMHA Kelowna communications manager Jessica Samuels.

“The fire damaged a small area near the stove. However, smoke damage has affected the entire centre.”

Foundry Kelowna will be temporarily closed for approximately four weeks, with Samuels saying staff are working to find alternate locations for services.

© 2019 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Report an error

Comments

Want to discuss? Please read our Commenting Policy first.