The Winnipeg Blue Bombers have released 17 players and assigned another 11 to their practice roster ahead of Saturday night’s roster cutdown deadline.
Third-string quarterback Bryan Bennet was among one of the more notable cuts, he had a solid pre season, throwing a pair of touchdown passes in the two games he saw action in.
Bennett also had 5 special team tackles and was Justin Medlock’s holder on converts and field goal attempts.
A couple of other notable names among the players released included receiver Rashaun Simonise who was the Blue Bombers first selection in the 2018 CFL draft – taken 12th overall in the second round. Defensive Lineman Brandin Bryant who saw action in 10 games last season and registered 11 defensive tackles and 2 quarterback sacks was also cut
Other players released from the Bombers roster include:
- International defensive lineman Alex McCalister
- International defensive back Amari Coleman
- International defensive back Tyneil Cooper
- International defensive back Joe Este
- International running back Larry Rose
- International running back John Santiago
- International offensive lineman Tanner Farmer
- International receiver Corey Washington
- International receiver Matt Hazel
- National receiver Dylan Schrot
- National defensive lineman Maxx Forde
- National defensive lineman Tariq Lachance
- National long snapper Zach Greenberg
- International kicker Gabriel Amavizca-Ortiz
The Blue Bombers also added 11 players to their practice roster.
- National offensive lineman Asotui Eli
- National defensive lineman Connor Griffiths
- National running back Johnny Augustine
- International defensive back Mike Jones
- International defensive back Marcus Rios
- International defensive back Chris Humes
- International defensive end Patrick Choudja
- International receiver Kenny Walker
- International linebacker Dale Warren
- International defensive back Sergio Schiaffino-Perez
- International linebacker Manuel Hernandez-Reyes
WATCH: NFL announces Packers-Raiders exhibition game in Winnipeg
International offensive lineman Manase Foketi was also added to the club’s retired list.
The Bombers won’t announce their injured list until the day before their first regular season game. Winnipeg opens the season on the road against the BC Lions June 15.
Blue Bombers General Manager Kyle Walters will be speaking with the media to discuss his thoughts on the 2019 training camp and his goals for the upcoming season.