April 15, 2019 11:26 am

2 people denied bail for sharing N.Z. mosque shooting video, 4 others in court

WATCH: New Zealand shooting: PM says they've attempted to remove video of mosque shootings (March 19)

A A

Six people appeared in a New Zealand court Monday on charges they illegally redistributed the video a gunman livestreamed as he shot worshippers at two mosques last month.

Christchurch District Court Judge Stephen O’Driscoll denied bail to businessman Philip Arps and an 18-year-old suspect who both were taken into custody in March. The four others are not in custody.

READ MORE: ‘You just want to be prepared’: Why some Muslim Canadian women are taking up self-defence

The charge of supplying or distributing objectionable material carries a penalty of up to 14 years imprisonment. Arps, 44, is scheduled to next appear in court via video link on April 26.

The 18-year-old suspect is charged with sharing the livestream video and a still image of the Al Noor mosque with the words “target acquired.” He will reappear in court on July 31 when electronically monitored bail will be considered.

Police prosecutor Pip Currie opposed bail for the 18-year-old suspect and said the second charge, involving the words added to the still image, was of significant concern.

New Zealand’s chief censor has banned both the livestreamed footage of the attack and the manifesto written and released by Brenton Harrison Tarrant, who faces 50 murder charges and 39 attempted murder charges in the March 15 attacks.

READ MORE: How a toxic ‘fight club’ of internet trolls enabled the New Zealand mosque shooting

 

© 2019 The Canadian Press

Report an error

Comments

Want to discuss? Please read our Commenting Policy first.