December 6, 2018 2:00 pm
Updated: December 7, 2018 12:56 am

Barriere family airlifted to Vancouver hospital following carbon monoxide poisoning

WATCH: A family in Barriere have been hospitalized after a carbon monoxide leak. Neetu Garcha has more.


A family of five has been airlifted from Barriere, B.C., to a hospital in Vancouver on Thursday morning after a carbon monoxide leak in their home.

B.C. Emergency Health Services said two ground ambulances and two air ambulances responded to a case of carbon monoxide poisoning at a Barriere home at 7:20 a.m.

Barriere Fire Chief Ashley Wohlgemuth said the leak didn’t impact neighbours and there is likely no risk to the public.

WATCH: Family of five hospitalized for carbon monoxide poisoning

First responders say five people are in stable condition.

The incident comes a day after a case of carbon monoxide (CO) exposure in Vancouver sent 13 people to hospital, leaving two of them in critical condition.

READ MORE: Burnaby firefighters hand out carbon monoxide alarms in bid to curb the ‘silent killer’

WATCH: Surge in carbon monoxide poisonings sparks warning

According to BC Emergency Health Services (BCEHS), paramedics were called to the 1600-block of West 5th Avenue just before 10 a.m. with reports of a collapsed patient.

Dr. Bruce Campana with Vancouver General Hospital said the facility had seen a recent surge of CO poisonings with temperatures plunging.

“When the weather gets cold, we see a lot more carbon monoxide, but this week has been insane — 17 cases this week that I’m aware of. There are many more that I’m not aware of,” he said.

— With files from Simon Little

© 2018 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Report an error


Want to discuss? Please read our Commenting Policy first.