2 people injured after boat fire at Toronto marina

Toronto Fire Services says a boat was fully engulfed in flames and injured two people Sunday morning. Gord Edick / Global News

Toronto Fire Services says two people are suffering from burn injuries after a boat caught fire at the Outer Harbour Marina on Sunday morning.

Investigators say they received a call around 7:24 a.m. with reports that a boat was fully engulfed in flames, which then spread onto another boat at 475 Unwin Ave., near Leslie and Commissioners streets in the Port Lands area.

READ MORE: Body of diver recovered at Humber Bay Park marina: police

Two people suffered minor burns from the incident, according to Toronto Fire Services. Police said the two people have been taken to hospital to be treated.

Investigators said the dock was also burned in the process, but the fire has since been extinguished.

READ MORE: Police search for suspect wanted in arson at Toronto hotel housing refugees

Story continues below advertisement

Police said the entrance to the marina has been closed off as a precaution.

Toronto fire platoon chief Frank Carliasle later told the media that they had to use a fire boat to extinguish the fire. He said it took a while but was able to save two other boats beside the fire.

Carliasle said the boat on fire did eventually sink and had extensive damage.

READ MORE: Landlords charged with negligence in fatal Scarborough house fire

Witnesses at the marina told Global News that the boat involved was believed to be from the late 70s or early 80s that a father and son were trying to restore.

James Hayes, who witnessed the boat being engulfed by flames, said the fire lasted for about two hours.

“It has a lot of damage just from the heat, and obviously the dock’s all melted as well,” Hayes said.

READ MORE: Residents could be out of their homes for ‘months’ after high-rise fire in St. James Town

Another witness, who was a boater parked beside the one on fire, said the flames were about nine metres high. William Boncheff said he and his wife were trying to untie their boat from the dock to avoid the fire.

Story continues below advertisement

Boncheff said eventually his wife had to jump into the water to escape, while he was able to get off and onto the dock safely without injuries.

With files from Gord Edick 

Sponsored content