June 5, 2018 6:05 am
Updated: June 5, 2018 11:40 am

Harvey Weinstein pleads not guilty to rape charges

WATCH ABOVE: Harvey Weinstein pleads not guilty to sexual assault charges, posts $1 million cash bail.

A A

Movie mogul Harvey Weinstein pleaded not guilty in a New York court on Tuesday to charges of rape and sexual assault, the first cases involving the disgraced producer to be tested in criminal court since scores of accusers emerged last year, New York court documents showed.

Weinstein, 66, said through his lawyer, Benjamin Brafman, that he has never had non-consensual sex and had planned to plead not guilty.

His appearance in Manhattan Supreme Court on Tuesday morning comes after a grand jury indicted him last week in two cases. The courtroom was packed and Weinstein showed up at approximately 10 a.m. ET wearing a dark suit. He was noticeably limping slightly.

WATCH: Harvey Weinstein’s lawyer says producer denies ‘terrible’ rape allegations


Story continues below

The charges involve two alleged victims: Lucia Evans, who claims that Weinstein forced her to perform oral sex at his Tribeca office in 2004, and a second, unidentified woman, who alleged that Weinstein held her against her will and raped her in a Manhattan hotel room in 2013.

Weinstein turned himself in at a New York police station on May 25, and was taken to court in handcuffs for his initial arraignment. A judge ordered him released on a $1 million cash bail on condition that he surrender his U.S. passport and agree to wear a location-tracking device. He was ordered to remain in New York state or Connecticut.

More than 70 women have accused Weinstein, the co-founder of the Miramax film studio and The Weinstein Co, of sexual misconduct, including rape, with some allegations dating back decades, all of which he has denied.

The accusations, first reported by the New York Times and the New Yorker last year, gave rise to the #MeToo movement, in which hundreds of women have publicly accused powerful men in business, government and entertainment of misconduct.

READ MORE: Lawsuit claims woman captured video of Harvey Weinstein assaulting her

Prosecutors from the Manhattan district attorney’s office did not name the two women accusing Weinstein of sexual assault in the criminal complaint filed against him following a months-long investigation with the New York Police Department.

The details of one of the cases closely align with the account of Lucia Evans, a former aspiring actress who told the New Yorker that Weinstein forced her to give him oral sex in 2004.

If convicted on the most serious charges, Weinstein could face between five and 25 years in prison.

Once a fixture of elite Manhattan and Los Angeles society, Weinstein has been ostracized since the accusations became public. He went to Arizona for sex addiction therapy.

WATCH: Harvey Weinstein leaves court after not guilty plea to rape, sex charges

The Weinstein Co’s board fired him, the company filed for bankruptcy in March, and the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences expelled him. In years past, the Academy had showered him with Oscars for a string of films that helped define independent cinema in the 1990s, including “Shakespeare in Love” and “Pulp Fiction.”

London’s Metropolitan Police and Los Angeles prosecutors have said they are reviewing accusations of sexual assault against him.

With files from Chris Jancelewicz

© 2018 Reuters

Report an error

Comments

Comments closed.

Due to the sensitive and/or legal subject matter of some of the content on globalnews.ca, we reserve the ability to disable comments from time to time.

Please see our Commenting Policy for more.