Crown decides not to appeal acquittal of Mark Grant
Years of legal proceedings in the death of a Winnipeg teenager in 1984 have now come to an end.
The Crown has decided not to appeal the acquittal of Mark Edward Grant, who was found not guilty last month of second-degree murder
in the death of Candace Derksen.
“Manitoba Justice will not be appealing the acquittal of Mark Grant in the death of Candace Derksen,” a spokesperson for Manitoba Justice said Wednesday.
“This determination was reached after a careful review of the evidence and Justice Simonsen’s decision by both the Crowns assigned to the prosecution and Manitoba Prosecution Service’s appeal unit,” they said.
Candace was last seen while walking home from school at the age of 13, and her frozen body – with her feet and hands tied – was
found six weeks later in an industrial shed.
Grant was arrested in 2007 following DNA tests and found guilty in 2011, but the conviction was overturned two years later by the
Supreme Court of Canada.
A new trial was held this year and Court of Queen’s Bench Justice Karen Simonsen ruled the DNA evidence was flawed.
A written statement from Manitoba Justice says the Crown will not appeal that verdict, but offers no details.
Find a comprehensive collection of Global News coverage of the Candace Derksen case here.
with files from Global News
© 2017 The Canadian Press