August 18, 2017 9:26 am
Updated: August 18, 2017 9:11 pm

Barcelona attack: 1 Canadian dead, 4 injured in twin attacks

A A

UPDATE: The Canadian killed has been identified as Ian Moore Wilson, the father of Vancouver police officer.

Story continues below

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has confirmed that one Canadian died and four suffered injuries in the Barcelona terrorist attacks that took place Thursday afternoon.

“It was with great sadness that I learned today that one Canadian was killed and four others injured during yesterday’s cowardly terrorist attack in Barcelona. Sophie and I offer our condolences to the families and friends in mourning, and hope for a speedy recovery for the injured Canadians,” Trudeau said in a statement.

“We join Spain and countries around the world in grieving the senseless loss of so many innocent people. We must stand firm against the spread of hate and intolerance in all its forms. These violent acts that seek to divide us will only strengthen our resolve.”

BARCELONA ATTACK: Here’s what we know so far

At least 13 people died and another 130 were injured after a suspected Islamist militant drove a van into crowds in the popular pedestrian mall of Las Ramblas in central Barcelona.

Hours later, as security forces hunted for the van’s driver, police said they killed five suspects in Cambrils, 120 kilometres south along the coast from Barcelona, to thwart a separate attack.

RELATED: Police kill 5 suspects in coastal town of Cambrils, near Barcelona

The five men attempted to drive into tourists on the Cambrils seafront, police said. Their car overturned and some of them began stabbing people. Four were shot dead at the scene and the fifth was killed a few hundred meters away, police said.

A Spanish woman was killed in the Cambrils incident while several other civilians and a police officer were injured. Police destroyed explosive belts the men had been wearing, though they turned out to be fake.

WATCH:Police arrest suspect, search house after Barcelona attack

Authorities said Friday the victims of the attacks are from 34 countries.

BARCELONA ATTACK: Manhunt intensifies for driver in deadly van attack

Trudeau said earlier that he was “deeply saddened” by events in Barcelona.

“While we cannot ignore the outrage we feel, together we must renew our commitment to protect the freedom found in societies that promote unity, openness and inclusion,” he said.

“Spain, we grieve with you and denounce hate and violence in all of its forms. Canada will continue working with the international community to fight terrorism and build a world where we can all feel safe and secure.”

– With files from the Canadian Press and Global News reporter Rahul Kalvapalle

© 2017 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Report an error

Comments

Comments closed.

Due to the sensitive and/or legal subject matter of some of the content on globalnews.ca, we reserve the ability to disable comments from time to time.

Please see our Commenting Policy for more.