Thomas Haas of Thomas Haas Chocolates and Patisserie shares his recipe.
1 ¾ cups Cream
¼ cup Milk
1 tsp Dried lavender
¼ cup Cassis puree
7 Egg yolks
¼ cup Granulated sugar
Vanilla bean – ½ bean, split and beans scraped
1. In a heavy-bottomed saucepan combine cream, milk, vanilla bean, dried lavender and bring to a scald. Tightly cover and steep for 30 minutes (or longer for a stronger flavor).
2. Meanwhile, whisk together egg yolks and sugar.
3. Slowly incorporate the hot milk-cream mixture into the egg yolk-sugar mixture while continuously whisking
4. Strain the crème mixture and refrigerate overnight
5. The next day, pre-heat oven to 210°F
6. Arrange the vessels into a baking dish that is about 2 inches deep
7. Pour the crème brulée mix into the dishes to almost full
8. Pour boiling water into the baking dish allowing the dish to be filled halfway with water
9. Carefully transfer to the oven and bake for approximately 1 hour or until the center is slightly set
10. Once cooked, allow to cool in the baking dish. Remove and refrigerate until cold (about 4 hours or overnight)
11. Once chilled, sprinkle sugar and caramelize with a blowtorch
More Global BC recipes are available here
- Driver crashes into West Vancouver Whole Foods, motors through produce section
- Missing hiker found dead near mountain peak northeast of Lions Bay
- Majority of British Columbians give ER wait times a failing grade: poll
- ‘Interact with culture’: 2nd annual Indigenous artisan market kicks off in New Westminster