Historic Calgary house on the move in Mission
CALGARY – A 118-year-old mansion located in the community of Mission will be moved to a new location on Sunday.
The McHugh House was built in 1896, and has sat in the 100 block of 18th Avenue S.W. for more than a century.
The home, once owned by the Calgary Roman Catholic Diocese, was slated for demolition before the city approved a $450,000 grant to preserve it as a historic site.
The move will result in some road closures and minor disruptions in the east side of the Beltline
READ MORE: Historic Calgary home set to make a big move
It’s being partially disassembled, before crews move it two blocks to Humpty Hollow Park, located along 17th Avenue S.W.
The move will occur between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. on Sunday, June 8.
The house will be travelling down Centre St from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. followed by crews working the rest of the day to get it on its new foundation.
In order to make sure that the house is moved safely, there will be some road closures and other minor disruptions in the east side of the Beltline community:
- 18 Avenue S.W. will be closed between Centre Street and 1st Street S.W.
- Centre Street will be closed between 18 Avenue S.W. and 15th Avenue S.W.
- Humpy Hollow Park will be temporarily closed to the public.
Citizens can come watch the move, however all members of the public will need to remain behind any barricades set up along the route.
The McHugh House is the sixth oldest in Calgary.
It was built for John Joseph McHugh, one of three brothers originally from Ottawa who were prominent Calgary pioneers and ranchers.
The house is an early, rare, and intact example of Queen Anne Revival-style architecture in Calgary.