The Competition Tribunal has dismissed an application from Canada’s competition watchdog seeking to block Rogers Communications Inc.’s proposed $26-billion purchase of Shaw Communications Inc., clearing a path for the deal to go through.
It still requires approval from Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada.
In a summary of its decision released Thursday, the Tribunal says the merger of the two telecommunications companies would not result in materially higher prices.
The decision says the deal that includes the sale of Shaw-owned Freedom Mobile to Quebecor-owned Videotron Ltd. would not likely prevent or lessen competition substantially.
Get weekly money news
It says a more detailed decision will be released in the next two days.
The Competition Tribunal held four weeks of hearings to discuss concerns about the proposed deal earlier this year.
Throughout the hearing, the Competition Bureau argued the merger would lessen competition in the telecom market, trigger higher prices and lead to poor service.
- Carney is starting talks on a lower carbon price in B.C. premier meeting
- Ontario government bans Chinese drones from police operations over data concerns
- Quebec jail guards protest expired contract, growing use of drones to move contraband
- Anand summons Israel envoy over ‘mistreatment’ of Canadians aboard flotilla
Rogers and Shaw argued the deal would enhance competition and be better for consumers.
Comments
Want to discuss? Please read our Commenting Policy first.