Advertisement

‘Ironside,’ ‘Welcome to the Family’ cancelled

Blair Underwood stars in 'Ironside.'. Handout

MONTREAL — The reboot of Ironside and the sitcom Welcome to the Family have been cancelled by their U.S. network.

Both shows aired in Canada on Global.

Ironside, starring Blair Underwood, was a modern take on the police drama of the same name that ran for 199 episodes from 1967 to 1975 with Canadian actor Raymond Burr in the titular role.

In June, Underwood told Global News he believed the new series would be able to hold on to its audience with nine consecutive weeks of new episodes.

“It’s a self-contained, closed-ended drama,” he said. “There’s a crime, investigation, resolution and an over-arching character study, but you’re in and out.”

Ironside was cancelled by NBC after only three episodes. One final episode will air Oct. 23.

Story continues below advertisement

The network also pulled the plug on Welcome to the Family, which starred Mike O’Malley and Mary McCormack, after only three episodes.

Earlier this month, ABC cancelled the Toronto-shot series Lucky 7 after only two episodes. CBS also cancelled the sitcom We Are Men.

Sponsored content