Dogs rescued from Port Hope house fire sparked by lightning strike

Click to play video: 'Dogs rescued from house fire in Port Hope, Ont.'
Dogs rescued from house fire in Port Hope, Ont.
No injuries were reported following a house fire on Margaret St. in Port Hope, Ont., on Monday morning – Aug 22, 2022

No injuries were reported following a house fire in Port Hope, Ont., Monday morning.

Around 11 a.m., emergency crews responded to a structure fire on Margaret Street. According to Port Hope Police Service Insp. Katie Andrews, officers arrived before the fire department as they were in the area when they heard the sound of a loud bang.

Read more: No injuries following house fire on Hwy. 7 east of Peterborough: OPP

Police say no one was home at the time, however, a constable located two dogs in the home and removed them before firefighters arrived. The canines were returned to their owners uninjured, Andrews said.

Two dogs rescued from the house fire. Video screenshot/Austin Brettell/Special to Global News Peterborough

Fire crews were met with thick smoke but quickly got the blaze under control.

Story continues below advertisement

Officials on scene believe the fire was the result of a lightning strike to a gas line. Ignited gas shot flames at the home’s siding, spreading to the interior.

Port Hope Fire and Emergency Services Fire Chief Jeff Ogden and the Office of the Ontario Fire Marshal confirmed lightning struck a gas meter which triggered the fire.

Damage is estimated at $500,000.

Sponsored content