Advertisement

Alec Baldwin sued by family of ‘Rust’ cinematographer killed on set

Click to play video: 'Rust movie shooting: Alec Baldwin says cinematographer’s death ‘never going to be behind us’ in new statement' Rust movie shooting: Alec Baldwin says cinematographer’s death ‘never going to be behind us’ in new statement
Alec Baldwin said the death of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins "is never going to be behind us" in a Christmas video message posted on his Instagram account. – Dec 24, 2021

The family of a cinematographer shot and killed on the set of the film Rust sued Alec Baldwin and the movie’s producers Tuesday alleging their “callous” disregard in the face of safety complaints led directly to her death.

At a news conference announcing the lawsuit, lawyers for the husband and 9-year-old son of Halyna Hutchins said that Baldwin refused training for the type of “cross-draw” he was performing when he fired the shot that killed her.

Baldwin’s lawyer responded that any claim the actor was reckless is “entirely false.”

Read more: Bob Saget’s family sues Florida officials to block release of death records

The suit filed in New Mexico’s Santa Fe County in the name of Matthew and Andros Hutchins shows a text message exchange between a camera operator and a producer in which a complaint over gun safety was met with what the suit calls “callous sarcasm.”

Story continues below advertisement

At least four other lawsuits have been filed over the shooting, but this is the first directly tied to one of the two people shot.

The defendants’ “reckless conduct and cost-cutting measures led to the death of Halyna Hutchins,” lawyer Brian Panish said.

Had proper protocols been followed, the suit says, “Halyna Hutchins would be alive and well, hugging her husband and 9-year-old son.”

Baldwin, who was also a producer on the film, was pointing a gun at Hutchins inside a small church during the setup for the filming of a scene for the Western in New Mexico on Oct. 21 when it went off, killing Hutchins and wounding the director, Joel Souza. The lawyers showed an animated recreation of the shooting at the news conference.

Read more: Alec Baldwin sued for $25M by fallen Marine’s family over Capitol riot photo

Baldwin has said he was pointing the gun at Hutchins at her instruction and it went off without him pulling the trigger.

The suit says industry standards call for using a rubber or similar prop gun during the setup, and there was no call for a real gun.

It also says that both Baldwin and assistant director David Halls, who handed him the gun, should have checked the revolver for live bullets.

Story continues below advertisement
Alec Baldwin speaks on the phone in the parking lot outside the Santa Fe County Sheriff’s Office in Santa Fe, N.M., after he was questioned about a shooting on the set of the film “Rust.”. Jim Weber/Santa Fe New Mexican via AP

The suit also names as defendants Halls, Walters, the film’s armorer Hannah Guttierez Reed, and ammunition supplier Seth Kenney.

“Any claim that Alec was reckless is entirely false,” Aaron Dyer, lawyer for Baldwin and other producers, said in a statement Tuesday. “He, Halyna and the rest of the crew relied on the statement by the two professionals responsible for checking the gun that it was a ‘cold gun’ – meaning there is no possibility of a discharge.”

He added that “actors should be able to rely on armorers and prop department professionals, as well as assistant directors, rather than deciding on their own when a gun is safe to use.”

Read more: ‘Rust’ movie armorer sues prop supplier over live rounds on set of fatal shooting

Story continues below advertisement

Last month Baldwin turned over his cellphone to investigators, and Dyer said he continues to cooperate fully with the investigation.

Authorities have described “some complacency” in how weapons were handled on the Rust set. They have said it is too soon to determine whether charges will be filed.

Baldwin said he does not believe he will be criminally charged in the shooting.

Several crew members have filed lawsuits, including Gutierrez Reed, who blamed Kenney for the shooting.

Her lawyer Jason Bowles did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the new lawsuit. A lawyer for Kenney could not be found. He has said previously that he was sure his company did not send any live rounds to the set.

In an interview with ABC, Baldwin said Hutchins had asked him to point the gun just off camera and toward her armpit before it went off.

“I didn’t pull the trigger,” Baldwin said. “I would never point a gun at anyone and pull the trigger at them. Never.”

Story continues below advertisement

Panish said Tuesday that the assertion was unrealistic.

“I think it’s clear what happened,” he said. “Alec had the gun in his hand, he shot it, Halyna was killed.”

The complaint does not cite a dollar amount, but Panish said it would be considerable.

“A longtime marriage, a soulmate is lost, and a boy to be raised without a mother at a young age is a tremendous loss,” he said. “And anyone who’s even been close to that experience knows, that that goes on forever and ever and ever.”

The plaintiffs’ lawyer in New Mexico, Randi McGinn, said the lawsuit is likely to move much more quickly than if it were filed in California, as others have been.

“In New Mexico, we’re used to people coming in from out of town to play cowboy, who don’t know how to use guns,” McGinn said.

Read more: Alec Baldwin says it’s ‘a lie’ that he’s not helping shooting investigation

Hutchins, 42, grew up on a remote Soviet military base and worked on documentary films in Eastern Europe before studying film in Los Angeles and embarking on a promising movie-making career.

On her Instagram page, Hutchins identified herself as a “restless dreamer” and “adrenaline junkie.”

Story continues below advertisement

In 2019, American Cinematographer called her “one of the year’s rising stars.”

Dyer’s statement said: “Everyone’s hearts and thoughts remain with Halyna’s family as they continue to process this unspeakable tragedy.”

Sponsored content