Advertisement

Smoking material left in planter sparks Kelowna balcony blaze

Click to play video: 'Kelowna Fire Department gives virtual tour' Kelowna Fire Department gives virtual tour
WATCH: The annual Kelowna Fire Department open house has gone online, and now anyone can watch from the safety of their home. – Nov 17, 2020

An early morning fire was contained to a Rutland balcony.

The accidental balcony blaze in a multi-unit complex in the Kelowna neighbourhood of Rutland was reported around 4 a.m. on Sunday.

The fire on a third-floor balcony of the 62-unit apartment building started after smoking material was accidentally put in a planter, the fire department said.

Click to play video: 'Planters are not proper ashtrays cautions Saskatoon Fire Department' Planters are not proper ashtrays cautions Saskatoon Fire Department
Planters are not proper ashtrays cautions Saskatoon Fire Department – Mar 17, 2021

The Kelowna Fire Department responded to the 700 block of Rutland Road and extinguished the flames with the help of the building’s sprinkler system.

Story continues below advertisement

The fire department said only “the furnishings and contents of the balcony” were burnt and “no other units in the complex were damaged.”

In a media release about the fire, Platoon Captain Steve Roshinsky urged people to “fully extinguish smoking material in an appropriate container.”

No one was injured.

Sponsored content