Father describes 14-year-old Toronto girl shot in head as ‘warrior,’ reacts to suspect arrest

Click to play video: '14-year-old girl in hospital after Toronto shooting' 14-year-old girl in hospital after Toronto shooting
WATCH ABOVE (Feb.12): As Catherine McDonald reports, the incident happened at the same apartment building where there was a shooting just three months ago – Feb 12, 2021

The father of a 14-year-old Toronto girl who suffered life-altering injuries after being shot in the head is sharing an update on his daughter and his reaction to the arrest of a 17-year-old boy in connection with the incident.

“I’m glad he’s arrested for my daughter’s sake, for her justice,” Brandon Driscoll, father of Alyssa Driscoll — the victim in the shooting, told Global News in an interview.

“My main concern is Alyssa though, that’s all I’m focused on right now is Alyssa’s health.”

Emergency services were called to Stong Court in the area of Jane Street and Finch Avenue West for reports of a shooting just before 3 a.m. on Friday.

Read more: 14-year-old girl in critical condition in 1 of 2 North York overnight shootings: police

Story continues below advertisement

Toronto police said a group of young people were inside an apartment when a gun was fired, striking Alyssa in the head.

Investigators said Alyssa was taken to a hospital in life-threatening condition where her condition has since been upgraded to stable.

“She’s progressing, she’s talking, she’s in good spirits,” said Brandon.

“God bless God, it’s a miracle she came out of this and has recovered as far as she has.”

Officers said the suspect and others at the apartment fled the scene.

On Thursday, police announced a 17-year-old boy arrested on Tuesday. The teen cannot be named due to provisions under the Youth Criminal Justice Act.

He was charged with multiple offences, including criminal negligence causing bodily harm, unauthorized possession of a firearm, aggravated assault, and two counts of fail to comply with a release order.

The accused appeared in a Toronto court Wednesday.

Read more: St. Michael’s Hospital’s trauma team shows why seconds count for Toronto’s victims of violence

Meanwhile, a GoFundMe was created to help the family cover any medical costs.

Brandon said Alyssa may never be “100 per cent” after being discharged from the hospital.

Story continues below advertisement

“But if she keeps fighting, the strength she has, the warrior that she is … she just might heal.”

Police said the investigation is ongoing. Anyone with information was asked to contact officers at 416-808-2510 or Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-8477.

With files from Catherine McDonald

Sponsored content