In the spring of 2004, “Carly” was a bright-eyed, smart and bubbly young girl.
The 17-year-old was just months away from finishing high school — but for the moment, she was focused on her friends and making good memories.
Carly is not her real name. Her identity is protected by a court-imposed publication ban.
On March 26, 2004, she got off school early, which was typical for a Friday.
That day she had an uneasy feeling that she couldn’t shake. But she also couldn’t explain it.
She hung around her school as long as possible, not wanting to walk home.
Carly lived in a townhouse in downtown Calgary with her younger sister and mother, just a few blocks from her high school.
When she arrived home, she went into the foyer and then went to unlock the door to her suite.
- Multiple victims, suspect dead after shooting at Las Vegas university: police
- McDonald’s employee in Ontario bitten by customer’s dog while bringing food to car
- GOP plays hardball over Hunter Biden deposition despite offer to testify publicly
- Only 11% of human trafficking cases result in guilty decision: StatCan
That’s when a strange man suddenly appeared.
She questioned who he was. He replied that he was there to see her neighbour.
Then, everything went black.
She was knocked unconscious.
Follow along as crime reporter Nancy Hixt shares Carly’s story of survival — one she’s never shared with a journalist before. Find out the dramatic twists this case has taken in the latest episode of the Global News podcast, Crime Beat.
If you enjoy Crime Beat, please take a minute to rate it on Apple Podcasts or Google Podcasts, tell us what you think and share the show with your friends.
We LOVE that you are loving the ‘Crime Beat‘ podcast! If you haven’t subscribed yet — what are you waiting for?
Subscribing’s easy! Here’s how…
- Open the Apple Podcasts app, search for “Crime Beat” and select it from the list of results.
- Once on the Crime Beat page, click the “subscribe” button to have new episodes sent to your mobile device for free.
- Click the name of an episode from the list below to listen.