Teenager taken to hospital after fire on Hammonds Plains Road

Halifax Regional Fire and Emergency crews respond to a fire at The Lifehouse chiropractor clinic on Hammonds Plains Road in Halifax. Reynold Gregor/Global News

One person has been taken to hospital after a fire on Hammonds Plains Road Monday.

Halifax Regional Fire and Emergency Deputy Chief David Meldrum told Global News that fire crews were called to the scene in the 1300 block of Hammonds Plains Road a little after 11:00 a.m.

Crews arrived to the two-storey mixed business and residential building to find a heavy amount of smoke spewing from the structure.

Read more: Halifax woman charged following robbery at North end pizzeria

Read next: China admits 2nd surveillance balloon flying over Latin America is theirs

As crews prepared to approach the fire, officials closed a large stretch of Hammonds Plains Road between St. George Boulevard and Lucasville Road to all traffic

Firefighters searched the building, which houses The Life House chiropractor, but did not find anyone inside.

Story continues below advertisement

A teenager was taken to hospital with non-life-threatening injuries and as a precautionary measure.

Some units are still on the scene.

Click to play video: 'Five Vancouver businesses destroyed by huge fire on Cambie Street'
Five Vancouver businesses destroyed by huge fire on Cambie Street

It’s believed the fire originated on the ground floor of the building before extending into the second floor and the attic.

The investigation is ongoing.

By 1:30 p.m. Hammonds Plains Road had reopened.

Sponsored content