Advertisement

Quebec First Nation reports first case of COVID-19

An employee removes COVID-19 samples from a Corona Diagnostig device at the Chemical and Veterinary Investigation Office (CVUA) in Muenster, Germany, 02 October 2020.
An employee removes COVID-19 samples from a Corona Diagnostig device at the Chemical and Veterinary Investigation Office (CVUA) in Muenster, Germany, 02 October 2020. EPA/FRIEDEMANN VOGEL

A First Nations community in Quebec just north of the New Brunswick border is reporting its first case of COVID-19.

The Listuguj First Nation issued a statement saying it was shutting down its government operations, except for critical services.

The Indigenous band says it received word from Quebec health officials late Thursday that a community member had tested positive for the virus and was placed in isolation.

READ MORE: New Brunswick reports 5 new coronavirus cases, 2 more recoveries on Friday

The community is linked to Campbellton, N.B., by a bridge that spans the Restigouche River.

[ Sign up for our Health IQ newsletter for the latest coronavirus updates ]

Despite having a very low infection rate since the pandemic began, New Brunswick has experienced two recent outbreaks, including one in the Campbellton area, where five new cases were reported Friday.

Story continues below advertisement

Read more: ‘Huge detriment’ to Listuguj high school students not allowed to attend class in-person

Health authorities say the Moncton and Campbellton health zones will remain in the orange alert level of the province’s COVID-19 recovery plan, which bans most indoor and outdoor gatherings of more than 10 people.

Click to play video 'Sugarloaf High School reopens after positive case of COVID-19 confirmed last week' Sugarloaf High School reopens after positive case of COVID-19 confirmed last week
Sugarloaf High School reopens after positive case of COVID-19 confirmed last week

The province said Wednesday that contact tracing has confirmed that the source of an outbreak in Moncton was travel-related.

Cases were also confirmed at four schools in the province in the past week, and officials say in-class learning won’t resume for some students until later this month.

As of Friday, there were 92 active cases in the province, and four people were in hospital.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Oct. 16, 2020.

Advertisement