Menu

Topics

Connect

Comments

Want to discuss? Please read our Commenting Policy first.

Sudbury man who attended Toronto convention confirmed as Ontario’s 37th coronavirus case

WATCH ABOVE: Premier Doug Ford and Health Minister Christine Elliott are once again facing criticism from the Ontario NDP. The official opposition says the government is not providing enough clarity on its plan to address the COVID-19 outbreak. Travis Dhanraj reports.

Health officials say that a man in his 50s who recently attended a convention in Toronto has been confirmed as the first case of COVID-19 in the Sudbury area, bringing Ontario’s total up to 37.

Story continues below

An online statement from Public Health Sudbury & Districts said the man presented himself to the emergency department at Health Sciences North on March 7. He was diagnosed with the new coronavirus and was then sent home to remain in self-isolation.

The statement also confirmed that the patient recently attended the Prospectors & Developers Association of Canada 2020 convention from March 2-3, which was held in Toronto.

According to the convention’s organizers, more than 25,000 people from over 132 countries attend the conference.

One of the attendees was Premier Doug Ford who spoke at the convention on March 2.

“Premier Ford is in good health and has experienced none of the symptoms related to COVID-19. He remains vigilant and encourages all Ontarians to do the same by taking the preventive actions recommended by our incredible health officials,” Ivana Yelich, Ford’s press secretary, told Global News in a statement.

READ MORE: How many Canadians have the new coronavirus? Total number of confirmed cases by region

Story continues below

Earlier Tuesday, health officials confirmed a man in his 40s who was recently in Switzerland as Ontario’s 36th case of COVID-19.

Officials said the man presented himself at St. Joseph’s Health Centre in Toronto where he was diagnosed with a positive case of the new coronavirus.

[ Sign up for our Health IQ newsletter for the latest coronavirus updates ]

The patient had recently travelled to Switzerland. He is now in self-isolation.

Canada has 95 confirmed cases of the virus, with one death in British Columbia.

In Ontario, five cases have been resolved so far.

View more
Story continues below
Advertisement

You are viewing an Accelerated Mobile Webpage.

View Original Article