August 14, 2019 8:04 am
Updated: August 14, 2019 8:46 pm

West Edmonton apartment building damaged by accidental fire

WATCH ABOVE: An early Wednesday morning fire that forced the evacuation of a west Edmonton apartment building started after a pot on a stove caught fire. Kendra Slugoski has the details.

A A

Investigators said an early Wednesday morning fire that forced the evacuation of a west Edmonton apartment building started accidentally.

Fire officials said the blaze began at around 2:30 a.m. as a result of overheated cooking oil left on a stove in a main-floor suite inside the Ruby Plaza apartment building on 162 Street just north of Stony Plain Road.

The fire burned through a wall to the outside of the building and moved up to the roof, investigators said.

Fire crews said they arrived to find flames shooting from the building.

Story continues below

READ MORE: Firefighters battle blaze at west Edmonton strip mall

Three people were assessed on the scene but were not taken to hospital.

Later in the morning, fire officials said the blaze was out, but traffic was still being affected in the area.

READ MORE: Police say children playing with lighter caused $650K west Edmonton house fire

The damage estimate is reported to be $750,000: $600,000 to the building itself and $150,000 to the contents.

There is no word yet on when residents will be allowed back into the apartment building.

© 2019 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Report an error

Comments

Want to discuss? Please read our Commenting Policy first.