A full-blown strike by employees at Quebec provincial parks that was set to begin today has been averted after the two sides reached an agreement in principle.
About 300 workers were already off the job at Quebec’s provincial parks network, known as SEPAQ, and the looming job action by hundreds more had threatened to disrupt the plans of thousands of vacationers at the start of Quebec’s busiest summer holiday season.
The union says all strike action is being suspended while the agreement is put to a ratification vote in the days ahead.
Get daily National news
A statement from union president Christian Daigle says he is happy with the agreement and that vacationers will be able to enjoy SEPAQ’s services.
READ MORE: Strike to affect Quebec’s provincial parks during construction holiday
No details of the tentative deal were released, however, union members had been seeking a single salary structure for all employees along with annual cost-of-living increases.
In the event of a strike, management had said it planned to keep parks open to the public with reduced services.
- Could ‘Lucky’ found in Netherlands be a Vancouver man missing since 1994?
- Education minister ‘very optimistic’ Ontario teacher negotiations won’t bring disruption
- Advance voting in 3 federal byelections starts Friday. Here’s how to vote
- Kids running lemonade stand assaulted, woman facing charges: Windsor police
A statement from SEPAQ says it expects all operations to resume on Sunday.
WATCH: Immense popularity of a picture-perfect Canadian paradise
Comments
Want to discuss? Please read our Commenting Policy first.