Advertisement

Woman dead after suspected carbon monoxide poisoning at Salmon Arm campground

Click to play video: 'Woman killed by suspected carbon monoxide poisoning while camping' Woman killed by suspected carbon monoxide poisoning while camping
WATCH: Tragedy at a Salmon Arm campground after a woman was killed by a suspected carbon monoxide poisoning and a child was taken to hospital in critical condition. Jules Knox reports – May 19, 2019

A woman is dead and a youth is in critical condition after a “likely” carbon monoxide poisoning at a Salmon Arm campground, Saturday morning.

RCMP and B.C. Emergency Health Services both confirm they were called to Sandy Point Campground around 10:15 a.m.

Cpl. Chris Manseau with the RCMP said they found an adult woman and a youth in a tent, where a wood-burning camping stove was discovered burning inside.

WATCH: (Aired Dec. 6, 2018) Family of five hospitalized after carbon monoxide poisoning

Click to play video: 'Family of five hospitalized after carbon monoxide poisoning' Family of five hospitalized after carbon monoxide poisoning
Family of five hospitalized after carbon monoxide poisoning – Dec 6, 2018

The woman was pronounced dead at the scene, and the youth was airlifted to hospital after several people attempted to perform first aid.

Story continues below advertisement

Three ground ambulances were also deployed, along with fire and RCMP crews, who remained on scene to investigate along with the B.C. Coroners Service.

Manseau later confirmed carbon monoxide poisoning from the camping stove was most likely responsible.

READ MORE: Province considering new rules around carbon monoxide alarms

It’s believed the pair had been camping and went to bed around midnight with the stove on as a source of heat.

“At this point, it’s a coroner’s investigation and we don’t believe there was anything suspicious about this,” he said.

The B.C. Coroners Service confirmed they were investigating the death of a woman in her 30s, but would not provide more information.

Calls to the campground itself were not answered.

READ MORE: Burnaby firefighters hand out carbon monoxide alarms in bid to curb the ‘silent killer’

HealthLink BC and the B.C. Centre for Disease Control say carbon monoxide poisoning happens when the colourless, odourless gas builds up in a person’s bloodstream.

The carbon monoxide replaces the oxygen in the blood, which can lead to serious health damage and possibly death.

Story continues below advertisement

“Carbon monoxide is known as the silent killer because it cannot be seen or smelled,” HealthLink BC says on its website. “If you breathe too much of it, it can become deadly within minutes.”

WATCH: (Aired Jan. 20) Carbon monoxide safety tips

Click to play video: 'Carbon Monoxide Safety Tips' Carbon Monoxide Safety Tips
Carbon Monoxide Safety Tips – Jan 20, 2019

Symptoms can include headache, dizziness and nausea, and can heighten to include vision problems, chest pain and even seizures.

Carbon monoxide poisoning can be prevented with a CO detector, along with ensuring portable gas appliances aren’t used indoors and that rooms are properly vented.

More information on carbon monoxide poisonings can be found here.

—With files from Jules Knox

Sponsored content