May 14, 2019 4:57 pm
Updated: May 14, 2019 8:55 pm

Two sent to hospital after fire at North Okanagan farm

Watch: Armstrong - Spallumcheen Fire Chief Ian Cummings says a barn fire on a poultry farm started after a propane tank tipped over.

A A

Two people were sent to hospital following a shed fire at a rural farm in the North Okanagan on Tuesday morning.

The shed was completely engulfed in flames, according to Vernon North Okanagan RCMP, who were called to the 4700 block of McLeery Road in Spallumcheen just before 11 a.m.

READ MORE: Wind turbine catches fire at wind farm in West Pubnico

Police say the fire was quickly extinguished, but not before two farm employees received moderate burns to their bodies.

“Two employees of the farm sustained injuries as a result of the fire and were transported to the nearest medical facility, with one being airlifted out by the B.C. Ambulance Service,” said Vernon RCMP Cst. Kelly Brett.

WATCH BELOW (Aired May 6, 2019): Fire near Blumenort, Man., destroys barn, kills chickens

“Fire investigators remain on scene. However, there is no indication that the fire is suspicious at this time and may have been caused by a propane-powered pressure washer being used by farm staff, shortly before the fire broke out.”

Police added no animals were injured as a result of the fire.

© 2019 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Report an error

Comments

Want to discuss? Please read our Commenting Policy first.